Re: vbox sid invalid mcookie

On 2011-07-22, Cousin Stanley <cousinstanley@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Liam O'Toole wrote ....
>
>>> gdm should create .Xauthority for you,
>>> without the need to manually do the xauth stuff.
>
>  That's what I thought too
>  after reading the xauth man page ....
>
>    "Normally xauth is not used
>     to create the authority file entry
>     in the first place;  the program
>     that starts the  X  Server
>     ( often xdm or startx ) does that."
>
>   However, testing in this particular context
>   doesn't provide either a new .Xauthority
>   file if one doesn't exist in my home dir
>   and doesn't provide an entry in an emply
>   .Xauthority file if I first create one
>   via touch ....
>
>   I just re-tested to make sure ....
>
>     o delete ~/.Xautority
>     o reboot or logout to restart X no difference
>     o A new .Xauthority file is not created
>     o No entries are added
>       to an empty .Xauthority file
>
>   However, with an empty .Xauthority file
>   there is no invalid-magic-cookie message,
>   but disply // X server connection problems ....
>
>     $ xdpyinfo
>     No protocol specified
>     unable to open display ":0.0"
>
>     $ opera
>     No protocol specified
>     cannot connect to X server :0.0
>     Connection refused
>
>     $ gimp
>     No protocol specified
>     Cannot open display
>
>>> You are talking about starting applications f
>>> from a terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal,
>>> and not from the console, right ?
>
>   Right.
>
>   The tests I just listed above
>   were done using gnome terminal ....
>
>   If I now manually use xauth
>   to add the magic cookies into
>   an emplty .Xauthority file,
>   then they float up as invalid
>   whenever I try to start programs
>   as above ....

I think something is broken in the terminal emulator. You are able to
launch gnome-terminal itself (presumably from the menu or the Alt-F2
dialog), but then something within that environment is causing your
problem. I suggest you try launching from xterm. If it works there,
compare the output of the 'env' command in the two terminals.

>   Perhaps if the X server display problem
>   is first straightened out then the xauth
>   magic cookie problem will fall into place ....
>
>   Perhaps not ....
>
>   Thanks a lot for the help and feedback ....
>
>   I really appreciate it ....

No problem. Hope it helps.

--
Liam O'Toole