Re: KDE4 , Squeeze: Space fun background keeps appearing under kde login splash

On 22/07/11 00:42, Joao Roscoe wrote:
>> You don't say which Debian you are running.... :-(
>
> I did it, in the subject of the original post - it's squeeze.

Ah - subject line/s.... eyes not connected to brain :-)

<snipped>

> Did that (great tip, I was missing it), and double checked the
> options both in "System>Login Manager"

First panel - untick "Use Themed Greeter" - it'll then allow
modifications to the greeter.

<snipped>

> However, space fun is being really stubborn, and it is still there
> (only for about two seconds, right after hitting <ENTER> in the login
> greeter - after that, it is substituted by user's choice of desktop
> background).

The greeter has a background, after the greeter is the kde splash screen
(if you have it enabled).
The first flash of desktop that you see after the kdm splash screen is
usually your virtual desktop (if you have different wallpapers). My
second virtual desktop has a blue and pink screen so it's easy to spot.

<snipped>

> Yes, I did it by replacing it with "moreblue-orbit", via update
> alternatives - no ugly hack here, I don't like doing stuff that way,
> either :-) But, I *did* disabled the themed greeter, via
> /etc/default/kdm.d/

As root you can do that with SystemSettings (see earlier comment re:Use
Themed greeter)

Try man genkdmconf for (even) more fun ;-p

<snipped>

> Yes, It took me some research, but I eventually discovered that
> update-alternatives cover that.
>
>> P.S. debian-kde is a more appropriate list if you want useful
>> answers.
>
> Ok, I'll ask at debian-kde.

Not that you won't get answers here - I suspect the KDE gurus spend more
time on the kde list though...

> Best regards, Jo�o

Grub splashes are especially easy to modify - use an existing splash as
a template and GIMP to modify. No need to mess with
/etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme, just copy the modified image to /boot/grub
and run update-grub, doesn't even need to be a .tga. Which explains the
various image modules in /boot/grub.
NOTE: update-grub treats everything in /etc/grub.d as a config file -
even files named /05_debian.theme.bak.bz2 :-/

Cheers

--
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy
condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness