Re: KDE4 , Squeeze: Space fun background keeps appearing under kde login splash

> You don't say which Debian you are running.... :-(

I did it, in the subject of the original post - it's squeeze.

> Create a copy of the existing SystemSettings entry in your Menu...
> Change the name to "System Settings - As ROOT", and under "Advanced" select
> "Run as different user", enter "root" as the different user, and click
> on "Save".
>
> Choose the new "System Settings - As ROOT" menu entry, enter your root
> password, go to "Advanced" => "Login Manager" and make your desired changes.

Did that (great tip, I was missing it), and double checked the options
both in "System>Login Manager" *and* in "Look & Feel>Appearance>Splash
Screen". There's no mention to "Space fun" left there. However, space
fun is being really stubborn, and it is still there (only for about
two seconds, right after hitting <ENTER> in the login greeter - after
that, it is substituted by user's choice of desktop background).

> How are you "removing space fun from my desktop"? Replacing I'd understand:-
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes
>  - even modifying - but "removing" sounds like an un-necessary and
> possibly ugly hack (hint update-alternatives).

Yes, I did it by replacing it with "moreblue-orbit", via update
alternatives - no ugly hack here, I don't like doing stuff that way,
either :-)
But, I *did* disabled the themed greeter, via /etc/default/kdm.d/

> NOTE: you are not forced to accept themes, login or boot splashes, nor
> are they difficult to change, or poorly documented - hundreds of
> patently wrong articles and posts to the contrary not withstanding ;-p

Yes, It took me some research, but I eventually discovered that
update-alternatives cover that.

> P.S. debian-kde is a more appropriate list if you want useful answers.

Ok, I'll ask at debian-kde.

Best regards,
João