Re: KDE4 , Squeeze: Space fun background keeps appearing under kde login splash

On 21/07/11 00:15, Joao Roscoe wrote:
> I almost suceeded removing space fun from my desktop, but I could not remove
> it from kde login splash background. Choosing "default" or "none" in
> systemsettings' "Look & Feel > Appearance > Splash Screen" had no effect.
> Any hints?
>
> Regards,
> Jo�o

You don't say which Debian you are running.... :-(
Parts of KDE have yet to be backported to Squeeze, you'll notice the
main missing parts when you aren't given the sudo option required for
various parts of SystemSettings. eg. Samba and Login Manager.

Create a copy of the existing SystemSettings entry in your Menu, change
the name to "System Settings - As ROOT", and under "Advanced" select
"Run as different user", enter "root" as the different user, and click
on "Save".

Choose the new "System Settings - As ROOT" menu entry, enter your root
password, go to "Advanced" => "Login Manager" and make your desired changes.

How are you "removing space fun from my desktop"? Replacing I'd understand:-
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes
 - even modifying - but "removing" sounds like an un-necessary and
possibly ugly hack (hint update-alternatives).

NOTE: you are not forced to accept themes, login or boot splashes, nor
are they difficult to change, or poorly documented - hundreds of
patently wrong articles and posts to the contrary not withstanding ;-p

Cheers

P.S. debian-kde is a more appropriate list if you want useful answers.

--
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy
condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness