Re: Experiences on using zram with ARM?

Hi.

2011/7/14 Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>:
> As many ARM systems (and other embedded architectures) happen to be
> memory-starved, I thought about playing with zram (the new name of
> "zramswap") on some of my systems, but I found out that not all platforms
> have zram enabled in the stock kernels in Debian.
>
> So, my question is: does anybody have experiences running zram with
> non-{i386,amd64} platforms? It would be nice to know before I start
> compiling many kernels and stuff.

I sent this message about 5 days ago and I didn't have any responses
in debian-arm. For that reason, I am resending it to debian-arm and
also crossposting it to debian-{powerpc,user}. Any experiences shared
here regarding the use of "compressed ram" would be more than welcome.

Just for the record, if the module is available, it should be simply a
matter of issuing:

modprobe zram # load the module
echo 67108864 > /sys/block/zram0/disksize # size of RAM to reserve to
be compressed
mkswap /dev/zram0 # create a swap in that area
swapon /dev/zram0 # use the swap on the compressed RAM

The basic idea here is that by compressing a portion of RAM:

* we may be able to hold more content in RAM.
* while we use some CPU cycles, it should beat the option of going to disk.

So, again, if anybody has any feedback on using this on a non-x86
arch, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de