Re: ASUS u52 builtin microphone (alsa-driver-linuxant)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:20:45 -0400
"Robert Blair Mason Jr." <rbmj@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> So I've been trying to get my laptop (ASUS u52) microphone to work.
> First off, if anybody knows how to get the builtin microphone to work
> without bothering with alsa-driver-linuxant, or if I didn't know the
> correct google-foo to find a binary package for alsa-driver-linuxant
> that works with debian, then please cut me off.
>
> Beginning how I (unsuccessfully) attempted to solve the problem, I
> read at [1] that the workarounds at [2] worked for the u52. It says
> that installing the linuxant alsa drivers fixes problems with the
> microphone.  So, I grab the latest version of the driver, unzip, and
> try to install the deb package.  It fails on configure, so I install
> the kernel sources, make menuconfig (just accepting the defaults), etc
> until I have a completely prepared source distribution. After copying
> over version.h from /usr/include/linux, alsa-driver-linuxant
> configures correctly.
>
> Here's where it begins to fall apart.  I'm running debian unstable
> amd64 on linux kernel version 2.6.39.  First I find that
> include/linux/smp_lock.h was removed from kernel 2.6.39.  I try to get
> away with just copying over the blob from version 2.6.38 (which seemed
> to work).  However, now CC is complaining about implicit declaration
> of functions, which means the headers are all included but the
> functions aren't there anymore AFAIK, which means that the interface
> changed, which makes me think that the whole driver is incompatible
> with kernel 2.6.39.  Is this true?
>
> Is it possible for me to run the driver without downgrading the
> kernel?  Though I suppose it is an option...
>
> Thanks for any and all help,
>
> rbmj
>
> PS:  If exact errors would help, I can supply.  This seems like a
> bigger issue (again, AFAIK) then just a normal compilation error.
>
> [1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668887
> [2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460790

Update:  I went through some of the code and started to replace some of
the lines that caused errors with the latest alsa-driver git blobs.
These fixed some of the errors, but not all of them.  However, after
giving up, installing pulseaudio, giving up on that, rebooting a few
times, updating a few times, giving up on that, and then forgetting
about it, the microphone magically started working.

--

rbmj