ASUS u52 builtin microphone (alsa-driver-linuxant)

Hello Everyone,

So I've been trying to get my laptop (ASUS u52) microphone to work.
First off, if anybody knows how to get the builtin microphone to work
without bothering with alsa-driver-linuxant, or if I didn't know the
correct google-foo to find a binary package for alsa-driver-linuxant
that works with debian, then please cut me off.

Beginning how I (unsuccessfully) attempted to solve the problem, I read
at [1] that the workarounds at [2] worked for the u52. It says that
installing the linuxant alsa drivers fixes problems with the
microphone.  So, I grab the latest version of the driver, unzip, and
try to install the deb package.  It fails on configure, so I install
the kernel sources, make menuconfig (just accepting the defaults), etc
until I have a completely prepared source distribution. After copying
over version.h from /usr/include/linux, alsa-driver-linuxant configures
correctly.

Here's where it begins to fall apart.  I'm running debian unstable amd64
on linux kernel version 2.6.39.  First I find that
include/linux/smp_lock.h was removed from kernel 2.6.39.  I try to get
away with just copying over the blob from version 2.6.38 (which seemed
to work).  However, now CC is complaining about implicit declaration of
functions, which means the headers are all included but the functions
aren't there anymore AFAIK, which means that the interface changed,
which makes me think that the whole driver is incompatible with kernel
2.6.39.  Is this true?

Is it possible for me to run the driver without downgrading the
kernel?  Though I suppose it is an option...

Thanks for any and all help,

rbmj

PS:  If exact errors would help, I can supply.  This seems like a
bigger issue (again, AFAIK) then just a normal compilation error.

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1668887
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1460790