Re: capslock/numlock keys behavior sometimes reversed

Nicolas Bercher <nbercher@yahoo.fr> writes:

> On 14/07/2011 02:44, lee wrote:
>> Do you have a Hungarian keyboard?
>>

> No, of course I tried this keeping the french layout.

You didn't say so.

> But two options were really confusing to me and my muscle memory:
>  - "ctrl:swapcaps" : swaps left ctrl with caps

You can try nocaps:

,---- [ /etc/default/keyboard ]
`----

,---- [ /etc/X11/xorg.conf ]
`----

,---- [ ~/.Xmodmap ]
| [...]
| keycode  66 = Control_L Control_L Control_L Control_L
| [...]
`----

That works nicely with an IBM Model M with German layout.  Better get
one of those with French layout; the Model M keyboards (built by Unicomp
now) are the only decent keyboards you can get for computers.

You can use xev to figure out what keycodes your keys have.  First make
sure your keyboard works as it should.  Then use "xmodmap -pke" to
create an ~/.Xmodmap which you can modify for the customisations you
need.  Finally, add

,---- [ ~/.xinitrc ]
| xset r rate 250 95 &
| xset m 2.5 0 &
`----

to your ~/.xinitrc and enjoy :)

If you use KDE, it's buggy in that it doesn't load your ~/.Xmodmap, and
it ignores your ~/.xinitrc.  So you might have to do something to get it
loaded --- and turn off the customisations KDE itself applies.

>  - "nodeadkeys" : wasn't able to do ^-e to get ê

That's what it is for :)

Your keyboard configuration may stop working at some time.  They keep
changing the keyboard stuff all the time without telling anyone and then
you can spend hours again to figure out how to get your keyboard to work
:(

Still all this doesn't really solve the original problem of the LEDs not
indicating the status of the keyboard correctly.  Perhaps we should send
a bug report --- but about which package?

--
html messages are obsolete