Re: [SOLVED] need help with Iceweasel.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:17:02 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

(...)

> I get frustrated, made my post here and left the problem as it was. A
> couple of hours later, while being in terminal and doing something else,
> I tried once again
>
> 'apt-get install -t squeeze-backports iceweasel-release
>
> and all at a sudden get the iceweasel 5.0 found, downloaded, and
> installed.
>
> What it was?  It could be some backports server problem, packages not
> uploaded timely, or some discrepancy between backporst and http://
> mozilla.debian.net servers, whatever else.  Who knows?..

A lazy (non-updated) repo?

> Switching back to Iceweasel 3.5?..  It's not only add-ons.  Once you try
> versions 4 and 5 you'd never want 3.5 back. Ver. 4, and 5 ever more, are
> amazingly fast, leaving way back all predecessors and Google Chrome
> (which I do not like anyway).

Yes, Firefox/Iceweasel 5 is very good, IMO.

> Well, for know I'm fine. However the experience makes me wonder if I'd
> like to depend on http://mozilla.debian.net.  But then the only
> alternative would be to start using Firefox itself. This would be a
> pity.

I had to remove Iceweasel and Icedove and get those packages from Mozilla
site, but I was somehow forced because I'm still with Lenny and here I
don't have another options.

JFYI, Mozilla packages work also very well and they're very easy to
install, even on 64-bits systems :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón