Re: [SOLVED] need help with Iceweasel.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 02:17:12 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> I found on wiki.debian.org reference to Debian Mozilla Team and
> installed Iceweasel 5.0 from them.
>
> I used it until started getting "package not found" errors. On their web
> site I found, all packages offered until recently gone. Some packages
> for lower versions still offered. However neither of them are actually
> available if you run apt-get. No announces/explanations.
>
> I've removed their package and downgraded to stable Iceweasel 3.5.16,
> which unfortunately does not support 2 Firefox Add-ons of vital
> importance for me.
>
> I'd love to use Iceweasel but badly need version 4 or higher. Is there
> any reliable solution for this?
>
> Another question... Is Debian Mozilla Team officially associated with
> Debian.org?
>
> I would be surprised if the answer is "yes".  The sense of
> responsibility of whoever is behind of this name is just way below the
> zero.

I spent yesterday about two hours on trying and investigating, and then
on googling.  My /etc/apt/sources.list was perfectly OK. However,
executing

'apt-get install -t squeeze-backports [package_name]'

where [package_name] changed to every single package name listed on
http://mozilla.debian.net, was repeatedly returning "Unable to locate
package [package_name]'.

I get frustrated, made my post here and left the problem as it was. A
couple of hours later, while being in terminal and doing something else,
I tried once again

'apt-get install -t squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

and all at a sudden get the iceweasel 5.0 found, downloaded, and
installed.

What it was?  It could be some backports server problem, packages not
uploaded timely, or some discrepancy between backporst and http://
mozilla.debian.net servers, whatever else.  Who knows?..

Switching back to Iceweasel 3.5?..  It's not only add-ons.  Once you try
versions 4 and 5 you'd never want 3.5 back. Ver. 4, and 5 ever more, are
amazingly fast, leaving way back all predecessors and Google Chrome
(which I do not like anyway).

Well, for know I'm fine. However the experience makes me wonder if I'd
like to depend on http://mozilla.debian.net.  But then the only
alternative would be to start using Firefox itself. This would be a pity.

Thanks to all replied.