Re: Printing problem jpeg file size gets multiplied???

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:25:48 -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:

> I have two jpeg files on my desktop. Both show correct file sizes in
> Properties.  Running Debian Squeeze Up2date.  Printer is Lexmark C540
> Xl, printer properties shows connected to printer. via my local network.
>
> Using Gthumb to print, it sends to queue and hangs... never prints...
> Lexmark printer eventually goes to "powersave mode"  top of list is
> "processing"
> Looking at queue  for one image shows a file size of > 25megs  for a 2.2
> meg jpeg file.   Both file sizes seem to be up by a factor of 10....
>
> Where can I look for a start???

Don't go nuts :-)

The real size of your jpeg file does not have nothing to do with the size
it turns when you send it to the printer and then queued.

What you see in the printer queue is the result of the job processing
that depends to the printer driver in use, the complexity of the file
(text renders faster than images), selected quality setting (300 dpi goes
faster than 1200 dpi), and all that.

Try by reducing the output quality and if you can or test with another
driver (i.e., if you have a PS printer and currently using a PS driver,
try with PCL6, Poscript is very very sloooow in linux :-P). Also, check
if there is any PPD updated file available for your printer model.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón