Printing problem jpeg file size gets multiplied???

Hi, All
I have two jpeg files on my desktop. Both show correct file sizes in
Properties.  Running Debian Squeeze Up2date.  Printer is Lexmark C540
Xl, printer properties shows connected to printer. via my local network.

Using Gthumb to print, it sends to queue and hangs... never prints...
Lexmark printer eventually goes to "powersave mode"  top of list is
"processing"
Looking at queue  for one image shows a file size of > 25megs  for a 2.2
meg jpeg file.   Both file sizes seem to be up by a factor of 10....

Where can I look for a start???

TIA, Jack