Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

On 12/07/11 09:42, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 07/10/11 at 07:20am, Randy Kramer wrote:
>> On Saturday 09 July 2011 10:22:01 pm William Hopkins wrote:
>>> On 07/09/11 at 05:14pm, Randy Kramer wrote:

<snipped>

> There are a few issues here.. first and foremost is your desire to 'hide' your
> computers. There's no reason for that -- currently some ISPs try to make you
> pay more to run multiple computers, which is wrong. But in IPv6 this
> restriction *will not* exist, I assure you. Why else would they assign /64s,
> /56s or /48s ?

What you suggest is quite reasonable - regrettably it's not the way of
telco's that are also ISPs. As this is a public list I'll refrain from
giving examples (bite the hands that feeds, mmm, nutritious). For a
shortlist of those that have absolutely no intention of "losing the
ability to upsell" (unquote) - see the list of major Australian ISPs who
did not participate in IPV6 day, and as yet have made no preparation for
dual stacks either.
At a technical level (as opposed to marketing and sales) it's stated as
"how to remove the risk of subscribers reselling" - Orwellian newspeak
for sharing your connection with a housemate.
I can't speak for the rest of the world but I doubt the scenario is any
different any where else - if the ISPs can get away something that will
bring in more revenue, they will. That's why an entry level modem has a
single port, and sales will try and sell another modem with more ports,
to be hung off the first modem - rather than a hub - and they will then
try and sell a more expensive plan to go with it. Yes - you'll be able
to trivially get around it - but most consumers will just fork out the
extra dollars for something they already have.

<snipped>

Cheers

--
What did moths bump into before the electric light bulb was invented?
Boy, the lightbulb really screwed the moth up didn't it? Are there moths