Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

William,

Thanks for the reply!

A followup below:

On Saturday 09 July 2011 10:22:01 pm William Hopkins wrote:
> On 07/09/11 at 05:14pm, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I just saw another question about IPv4 and NAT and IPv6, and that
> > prompts this question:
> >
> > When I switch to IPv6, will I lose the ability to keep my computers
> > behind a NAT gateway?
>
> I've seen some talk about implementing address translation in IPv6,
> but haven't seen anything working yet.
>
> > It's probably not the best thing, but I depend on the NAT gateway
> > for a lot of my security--with IPv6, will I still be able to do
> > that?
>
> Everything NAT provides (inaccessibility by default,
> port/application-based whitelisting, etc.) can be provided by a
> firewall. The remote side will know your actual IP address, sure, but
> the attack space is identical.

Well, that is the other thing I have today, and would like to keep--that
is:

The other feature I get from my NAT gateway (as I mention in other
posts) is the ability to run multiple computers on one IP address from
my ISP, and without the ISP (easily, at least), knowing how many
computers I'm running.

Can a firewall help me with that?

Randy Kramer