Re: Totem slow DVD playback and bad sound

*From*: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com
<mailto:%3d%3fISO-8859-1%3fQ%3fCamale%3dF3n%3f%3d%20%3cnoelamac@gmail.com%3e>>
*Reply-to*: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
*To*: debian-user@lists.debian.org <mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org>
*Subject*: Re: Totem slow DVD playback and bad sound
*Date*: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 19:02:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 16:31:59 +0200, Tomas Kral wrote:

 I have recently upgraded to Squeeze.
 I experience very slow playback of DVDs in Totem. I have a bad sound as
 well.
 It appears to be dropping some of the picture frames, and sound tracks,
 also
 it skips DVD intro and starts right at the DVD menu.

 Films downloaded from the Internet play well in Totem, only films played
 back from original DVDs have these problems.

(...)

I don't know if this will be of any help but Google finds a report -quite
similar to yours- from another user:

http://www.forumdebian.com.br/archive/index.php/thread-634.html

(it is written in Brazilian Portuguese but I think the logs can be easily
understandable)

It seems the user is also facing that problem when using Totem, VLC and
MPlayer to watch a comercial DVD in Debian Squeeze.

Given the shared similarities in both cases, I would try to watch another
comercial DVD and see what happens. It can be a problem with a specific
DVD media that uses a copy protection measure that makes the media player
to have problems in decoding.

Also, testing with another multimedia player software won't hurt :-)

On 04/07/11 03:36 PM, Tomas Kral wrote:
> Well, I have tried mplayer, gxine, .. not with much better results on
> Squeeze.
>
> Just discovered..
>
> On Lenny I selected totem-xine alternative and it works nicely, there is
> also alternative totem-gstreamer that has problems with DVD playback.
>
> On Squeeze Totem is based on gstreamer and uses libdvdread, libdvdcss,
> libdvdnav, and there is no totem-xine alternative as in Lenny.
>
> So far I Cannot play DVDs with totem on Squeeze.
> If anybody can, could they please share their settings with us.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

  For what it's worth---probably little. I have NEVER had good results
with Totem.
  My DVD player of choice is VLC or the smplayer front to mplayer.
If you have all the needed libraries installed (think encryption) things shold go smoothly.

p.s. Please don't top post.

--
Cheers