Re: Squeeze and root in graphical mode

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 18:06:55 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Sunday 03 July 2011 17:32:19 Camaleón wrote:
>> I was one of those newbies that sometimes logged as root when I was
>> giving my first steps in Linux. I remember in that time (2003, KDE
>> 3.2.x, IIRC) there was a background image¹ for root login with bright
>> red and plenty of bombs. Yes, bombs, for the user to understand the
>> risk of having that session open :-)
>>
>> Nowadays, KDE and also GNOME discourage using root GUI sessions but it
>> still possible to get them.
>
> That bomb screen was, I think, special to SuSE (with which I also
> started. But I didn't use it for long because I couldn't stand YaST).

<mode go-opensuse-go on>
YaST is one of the best tools an admin (and a user) can find! And now is
GPL :-)
</mode go-opensuse-go off>

> And yes, I too logged in as root in those days.  But only because I had
> no idea at that stage what else to do for anything that needed root
> access.

He, he... me also :-P

> I *think* that it is Debian, not KDE, that won't key you log in to a GUI
> session as root.  There certainly was a phase when Debian wouldn't and
> PPLinuxOS, also with KDE, would.  (No, I didn't make a habit of logging
> in as root.  I tried once, and logged out again immediately - it wasn't
> just the cat who was killed by curiosity!)

I don't think so.

KDE disabled root logins by default in KDM since some time ago, while
GNOME (GDM) was still allowing it (not sure is that's remains true by
now). And I speak here for no specific distro, this has been happenning
in other distributions as well. But distributions are changing/revisiting
their default settings every year...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón