GRUB failure

Hello.

I have a "laptop" computer with winXP Pro, Unbuntu 8.04 and Debian 5 (I think it is 5), installed.

With a recent electricity supply failure, I ran an orderly shutdown on the computer.

Since that shutown, each time that I reboot the computer, it takes me to the GRUB prompt (rather than the GRUB boot menu), and
I cannot boot the computer into any operating system.

How do I get GRUB to configure itself, to detect the installed operating systems so the computer is usable once again?

Or, has GRUB destroyed the software build of the computer, and all of the data, requiring a complete reinstallation of all of
the operating systems installed on the computer?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale