Re: Copying a bootable CD

On 02/07/11 07:20, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 01 Jul 2011 at 23:49:56 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> conv=notrunc means "do not truncate the output file" according to the
>> manpage, but I have no ideea what it's good for, but doesn't sound like
>> it would affect your image :p
> That's a problem which can happen with man pages. You think you know
> what it means but on the witness stand you are torn apart by the
> defense.
> I'd take 'truncate' to mean 'shorten' - but see what you make of this:
> http://dbaspot.com/shell/176725-what-does-notrunc-dd-command-mean.html
> Untested. Use at you own risk!

What is the date of that post?
What OS are the posters referring to?

Tested - file a bug report if it is incorrect :-)

"`append'  Write in append mode, so that even if some other process is
writing to this file, every `dd' write will append to the current
contents of the file.  This flag makes sense only for output.  If you
combine this flag with the `of=FILE' operand, you should also specify
`conv=notrunc' unless you want the output file to be truncated *before
being appended to.*"

ref: info dd

“How come people always flip and think they're Jesus?
Why not Buddha?
Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus.
'Ah'm BUDDHA!'
'You're Bubba!'
'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' ”
~ Bill Hicks