Re: C compiler cannot create executables no good google answers

Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 06:55:22AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I got past that now... apparently finally got whatever it was
>> installed.  But now ./configure complains about X libraries:
>>
>>    error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
>>    were found.  You should install the relevant development files for
>
> Have you installed xorg-dev?

Egad, I started to install that but got distracted somehow and now on
checking I see I never did... thanks.

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:

[...]

> You're welcome :) It might be nice to try out the most recent version of
> emacs ...  I needed to install libgif-dev for configure to
> finish.  Now it's compiling ... and seems to have finished without
> errors :)  Yes, and I can run it just fine.  It seems to have trouble
> finding some packages required from my ~/.emacs.  That's probably
> because I didn't install it before trying.
>
> What I have installed is lesstif2 and libgtk2.0-dev.  You can try
> installing libgtk2.0-dev or libgtk-3-dev or libmotiv-dev.

I needed a few others too, like libncurses-dev.  And a few more.

But now I kind of see how to find the needed stuff.

Still though, I hit a little snap at the end of compile I haven't
figured out yet:

[...] snipped all but last of `./configure'

  creating src/epaths.h
  cd /usr/local/src/bzr/emacs/trunk && autoheader
  /bin/sh: autoheader: not found
  make: *** [/usr/local/src/bzr/emacs/trunk/src/stamp-h.in] Error 127
  config.status: executing gdbinit commands

aptitude knows nothing about `autoheader' or even

  aptitude search header|grep auto