Re: Stranded between lenny and squeeze

On 07/02/11 at 01:47am, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I'm in the middle of the upgrade from lenny to squeeze.  I have a
> partially working system.  I've been following the instruction ins the
> release notes, http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/
> ch-upgrading.en.html and I've gotten as far as upgrading the kernel and
> udev.

[...]

> And I can't use cntl-alt-F1 to get a text console, because all I get is a
> blank black screen.  Is gdm taking over the text consoles and disallowing
> them?  How do I get my text consoles back so I can proceed with the rest
> of the upgrade?

You can shutdown gdm from inside a GUI, or you can disable gdm and reboot, or
disable gdm and telinit 1 && telinit 2. Then do your upgrade, and re-enable
gdm. Since you're still in squeeze, disabling gdm is probably update-rc.d -f
gdm remove. Stopping gdm is just /etc/init.d/gdm stop.

> Or is there some devious trick I'm missing?  Will an ssh connection from
> another machine survive the upgrade process, for example?

SSH will probably survive. Even restarting the sshd process does not typically
kill user connections.

--
Liam