Re: security support for lenny / upgrades from lenny to wheezy (was: How to get the stable iso for lenny)

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 04:13:28PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>Steve McIntyre:
>>
>> We will cease support for Lenny early next year,
>
>Funny that you mention it. We just yesterday discussed whether this news
>item is still relevant today:
>
>/ http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090729
>| Since Debian's last release happened on Feb. 14th 2009, there will
>| only be approximately a one year period until its next release,
>| Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (codenamed Squeeze). This will be a one-time
>| exception to the two-year policy in order to get into the new time
>| schedule. To accommodate the needs of larger organisations and other
>| users with a long upgrade process, the Debian project commits to
>| provide the possibility to skip the upcoming release and do a
>| skip-upgrade straight from Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 (Lenny) to Debian
>| GNU/Linux 7.0 (not yet codenamed).
>
>I argued that upgrading from 5.0 to 7.0 will not actually be supported
>(and hence, lenny will not be supported for longer than one year after
>squeeze release) because 6.0 wasn't released ahead of time. Did I get
>things right?

I believe so, yes. There isn't a need for supporting the
skip-upgrade. That's not to say that it *won't* work, but it's not
something we are going to commit to.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt