Re: Headless Install Debian Squeeze

On 30/06/11 17:09, Paul Lettington wrote:
> On 30/06/11 04:04, Martin McCormick wrote:
>> 	It appears that the procedure to start the serial
>> console has changed.
>>
>> 	Can I boot the CDROM in serial console mode as before?
>
> I had to do this recently to install on a serial-only virtual machine,
> and found that I had to modify the CD to present anything over the
> serial port. I don't know if I was doing something wrong and it should
> have been possible with a stock CD, but this worked for me.
>
> These are the notes I made while doing it, you should substitute the
> 6.0.1a version for whatever is current when you do it.
>
> ---
> Following http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CD
<snipped>
> ---
>
> I was using an amd64-netinst CD, but it should work with any CD that
> uses isolinux (i386 or amd64).
>
> Paul.

Are you certain the advice you gave a blind person is accurate??

All your instructions do is hard code what can be done at the cli or
through pre-seeding - with an added difficulty and time factor.

Did you try to enter "install console=ttyS0,9600n8" at the *CLI*??
ref:-

I just installed from debian-6.0.1a-i386-kde-CD-1.iso *without*
modifying the CD, using a serial console.

NOTE: serial console install is the usual method for xen builds - and
we've *never* had a need to rebuild the iso.

Cheers

--
"This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of
the loop.