Re: weird dhclient problem

On 30 June 2011 14:13, Juan Sierra Pons <juan@elsotanillo.net> wrote:
> 2011/6/30 wolf python london <lyh19901223@gmail.com>:
>> Hey all,
>>
>>    I recently upgrade my Wheezy and Sid box, and find a weird problem about
>>    dhclient(package:isc-dhcp-client ).
>>
>>    My boxes are in an intranet (my campus),so I want to access the stuff
>>    in the intranet (ftp and http). The intranet has its own dhcp server,
>>    so we can get an ip and netmask by dhclient. In my squeeze box ,
>>    $dhclient eth0
>>    is fine , I can then acess the ftp and http servers in the intranet.
>>    But in my Wheezy and Sid boxes, it's sucks. Here is my
>>    /etc/network/interfaces:
>>
>>    wolf@wheezy:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
>>    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>>    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>>
>>    # The loopback network interface
>>    auto lo
>>    iface lo inet loopback
>>
>>    # The primary network interface
>>    allow-hotplug eth0
>>    #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>>    iface dsl-provider inet ppp
>>    pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
>>    provider dsl-provider
>>    iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>>    As you can see, the last line "iface eth0 inet dhcp" means I can
>>    get an ip via ifupdown and still use the dhcp to configure eth0.
>>    #ifdown eth0;ifup eth0
>>    Ok, its fine,ping other hosts(for example 10.20.79.1) in the
>> intranet is ok .
>>    I paste the process here (http://pastie.org/2142558)
>>    I cannot figure it out why the dhclient command failed though it
>>    actually get and ip and netmask and the route are even the same, while
>>    ifupdown is ok  ?
>>

>>    thanks all!
>>

>> --
>>

> Hi,
>
> Do you have NetworkManager installed? if so please de-install it as it
> has weird behaviour some times. :-(

Yes, I have NetworkManager installed here( GNOME DE). And I have use
it for a long time :-(
it's fine in Squeeze.
I'll de-install it  lately :-(

ok ,it's here now (http://pastie.org/2144051), and it seems that arp goes wrong

> But I think the real problem is that the right lines in your
> /etc/network/interfaces must look like:
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> Please add the "auto eth0" line

"auto eth0" means , eth0 interfaces starts at boot time , right ? And
"allow-hotplug eth0" means, eth0 interfaces support hotplug ?
Can it affect the dhclient ?
Thanks Juan!