Re: Headless Install Debian Squeeze

On 06/29/11 at 10:04pm, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	It used to be that one got the installation program to
> run through a serial port by a command like
>
> linux console=ttySx,9600n8p
>
> 	I downloaded the new Debian 6 iso image from Debian.org
> and am trying to install it over a serial console which is one
> of the things that computer users who are blind can do
> if you already have one or more computers that talk.
>
> 	It appears that the procedure to start the serial
> console has changed.

AFAIK, options passed to the debian installer are kernel options. I wasn't able
to find a source on the options the distributed D-I kernel was built with, but
I do know you can make a custom D-I disc with your own kernel, which you could
ensure does support serial consoles. I believe the relevant config is
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE.

--
Liam