building emacs-24

I'd like to run and maintain my own version of emacs so am building
from tarball.

I'm hitting an error during ./configure about not having X:

configure: error: You seem to be running X, but no X development libraries
were found.  You should install the relevant development files for X
and for the toolkit you want, such as Gtk+, Lesstif or Motif.  Also make
sure you have development files for image handling, i.e.
tiff, gif, jpeg, png and xpm.

Which is the X devel pkg[s] and which to satisfy `image handling'?