Ethernet connection weirdly not working mornings

Since switching to a new machine and upgrading to the latest Sid, I've
been having some weird problems getting a wired connection to the net.

Running `ifup eth0` brings up a net connection -- but not in the
morning for some reason....times out with a "No DHCPOFFERS received"
message. Repeatedly. I've been trying this every day for over a week,
and like clockwork, morning = no connection, evening = connection.

BUT, even though the ethernet connection doesn't work in the mornings,
`ifup wlan0` will bring up a wireless connection in the morning just
fine. This "I'm not a morning-type" ethernet is coming out of the very
same NETGEAR wifi router that successfully provides a wifi connection
any time of day.

And when I try my old laptop (running a not-as-up-to-date Sid), it
works fine, gets that ethernet connection in the mornings every time.

My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:

  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
  allow-hotplug eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp
  iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  pre-up wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -Dwext -B -c /home/john/.wpa_supplicant.conf
  post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

And my ~/.wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

  ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
  network={
       ssid="mynet"
  }