Re: LVM Recovery

On 06/28/11 at 07:36pm, wix@mgssub.com wrote:
> I had a drive crash and it had a little bit of a LVM volume on it. The
> drive that contains most of it still survives.
>
> Can anyone quickly outline what to do to get the survivor attached to
> LVM and
> working again? LVM has completely forgotten about it.

Post your vgdisplay/lvdisplay outputs to start. It shouldn't have 'forgotten'
about it, you should have gotten an error about missing PVs.

I am correct in assuming you had a VG of multiple PVs, and an LV carved from
that, and one of your PVs is now dead? This is akin to losing the second drive
in a RAID 0.. not usually recoverable. Perhaps you can manually set up your LV
again and truncate the missing bit with resize2fs? You would start by plugging
in a replacement drive and restoring your config from backup with vgcfgrestore.

--
Liam