Re: Running Squeeze on a 2 GB usb stick?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
On 28/06/11 14:17, Mark wrote:
> Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have
> laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for
> personal use. I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if
> there is advice on recommended packages other than the base system for
> my given circumstances? Here's what I was thinking of installing in
> addition to the base system:
>
> -GParted
> -gedit
> -Iceweasel
> -Synaptic Package Manager
> -Update Manager
> -Network Manager (or wicd)
> -A few things under Preferences like Appearance, Screensaver, Power
> Management
>
> Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB?� The laptop has 4
> GB RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.
>
> Thank you for any input.
>
> Mark
If you're willing to do a little work - then yes, under 1.2GB is
possible. The trick is not to do the build/install on the USBkey (move
it there after building and stripping).

You will have to sacrifice some unnecessary things on your wish list:-
Synaptic (learn to use apt or aptitude)
Update Manager (ditto)
NetworkManager
Screensavers and PowerManagement
Any other "dancing bears"

Process:

[snip]

Thank you for so many good replies, especially Scott; I have some good links to read now.  I went through attempting the Expert installation and including a DE (Gnome) ruined it since that includes all the packages I wanted control over not installing with Gnome, but this is not allowed at time of installation.  Definitely the way to go is either: (1) install to a larger drive first (like others mentioned in this thread) and remove OOo and other space hogs I don't need before copying to the 2 GB stick, or (2) get a bigger usb drive.  I looked on-line and found a 16 gb for $18 so I'm going to go this route.

I managed to create a persistent Ubuntu installation on the 2 GB stick really quickly, so that will hold me over til the 16 GB arrives and also makes the 2 GB serve a good purpose for now.

Again thank you for all the helpful replies.

Mark