Re: booting from the other disk of a RAID-1

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2011.06.28.1115 +0200]:
>> I'm glad it helped you and Peter.  Now the question is how to actually
>> solve the problem that one can boot from only one of the disks in a
>> RAID-1 array.  The point is to still be able to run the system when a
>> disk fails.  Should the one you boot from fail and you halt the system
>> to replace it, how do you boot?
>
> Grub resides on all components of the array (ideally in their MBR).
> It loads off any one of them and then runs its own RAID-assembly
> code, which can assemble a degraded RAID-1. Then it loads kernel and
> initrd from the filesystem on that array and passes control to the
> kernel…

Yes, that's what I was expecting.  About two weeks ago, I had to replace
the mainboard and found out that I can boot from only one of the disks
in the RAID-1.  Booting from the other one put me into a blank screen,
without grub showing up.

It doesn't work as it's supposed to.  How can I fix it?