Re: Needed: a grub2 expert

also sprach Peter Tenenbaum <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> [2011.06.26.0227 +0200]:
> I suppose that is possible.  However, the workstation has 2 internal hard
> drives (both in the RAID-1 array), 1 internal DVD-ROM player, and the
> external USB hard drive; total of 4.  Is there something else in the system
> which can take a drive slot from the BIOS?  If not, then 4 slots should be
> enough to allow them all to initialize properly.

It could be that the external USB drive causes the BIOS to reorder
the drives, which might throw off grub2 as well. See if you can
somehow stabilise the drive order in the BIOS.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president
 should on no account be allowed to do the job"
                                                      -- douglas adams