Re: booting from the other disk of a RAID-1 (was: Needed: a grub2 expert)

also sprach lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2011.06.28.1115 +0200]:
> I'm glad it helped you and Peter.  Now the question is how to actually
> solve the problem that one can boot from only one of the disks in a
> RAID-1 array.  The point is to still be able to run the system when a
> disk fails.  Should the one you boot from fail and you halt the system
> to replace it, how do you boot?

Grub resides on all components of the array (ideally in their MBR).
It loads off any one of them and then runs its own RAID-assembly
code, which can assemble a degraded RAID-1. Then it loads kernel and
initrd from the filesystem on that array and passes control to the
kernel…

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"whale feces or working at microsoft? i would probably be the whale
 feces researcher. salt air and whale flatulence; what
 could go wrong?"
             -- michael moyer, executive editor of _popular science_