Re: VM client can't access CUPS printer

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:36:46 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:13:18 +0000, I wrote:
>
>> I have a Wheezy host with a USB printer and a virtualbox XP client.
>> The VM (client) is unable to access the CUPS printer.
>
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:51:40 +0000, Camaleón replied:
>
>> Also, how does you "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" look like?
>
> That was the right question.  In adding cupsd.conf to my planned reply,
> I noticed that I had made a stupid mistake.  cupsd.conf has the line
> "Listen hostname:631", where I insert the correct hostname.  I blew it
> and left in the name of the host from which I copied the line.
>
> Now the client VM can get to the CUPS system and the printer.  Oddly,
> though, for this to work I have to restart /etc/init.d/cups if I have
> just rebooted the host, even though CUPS is started late in the boot.  I
> think I had the same problem when I first set up my similar system at
> home, but then the problem just went away on its own.

Well, I think this is good :-)

> I'm still not in business.  The Phaser is accessed and prints, but it
> prints out a PostScript error.  I'll have to investigate the driver some
> more.

Openprinting has a related comment on this postscript error:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Xerox/Xerox-Phaser_6280

I would try to load the PPD from Xerox's site, just in case it is most
updated. I mean, regadless you're in windows or linux, use the most
updated PPD/PostScript drivers available.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón