Re: X on a virtual server

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM, William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/26/11 at 11:29pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> > x11vnc is for creating a VNC instance to an existing X server. You just want a
>> > VNC server: look into tightvncserver.
>>
>> Or NX from www.nomachine.com, which is free for personal use and is
>> commercial grade software with excellent printing, USB, and shared
>> session capability with quite efficient CPU and network use on both
>> ends. It's a big step up from VNC.
>
> Your post is not helpful in reply to what I have said. You basically say 'don't
> listen to this guy -- come try this instead!'. I don't appreciate it.
> Furthermore NX has gone closed-source and is not easier to configure or
> understand. VNC is simple and is what Eric previously told us he was using.
> It's right there in the quoted text.

This is confusing. I was trying to help the original poster, Gregory,
by pointing out what is, compared side-by-side, an excellent solution.
I wasn't trying to insult you, and I certainly did not ignore your
suggestions, but rather I tried to help him, as the original poster. I
am sorry if that bothers you, although in a support list, I'm not sure
how to offer a relevant suggestion without possibly insulting someone
so sensitive about alternative approaches.

As near as I could tell at the time, I personally *wrote* the first
SunOS port of VNC myself, so I've some experience with it.  Would it
help to actually compare them side by side and see why I think it's
better? The change from open source is a reasonable concern, and I've
spoken with NoMachine about this as a customer. I'm actually hoping
they'll change their minds about that before the next release gets out
of alpha testing. But it's really a very good tool for remote X
servers. I'd be happy to compare it to VNC based tools, side by side.