Re: X on a virtual server

On 06/26/11 at 11:29pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:25 PM, William Hopkins <we.hopkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> My purpose, at this early stage, is simplicity itself: I have a
> >> "virtual private server" up and running -- root access and all that --
> >> and I want to have some sort of X desktop available on it that I can
> >> remotely log in to. What do you suggest? At present I feel I am close
> >> to getting the login to work, but of course there is nothing
> >> resembling an X session there (i.le window manager, Gnome or KDE).
> >
> > x11vnc is for creating a VNC instance to an existing X server. You just want a
> > VNC server: look into tightvncserver.
>
> Or NX from www.nomachine.com, which is free for personal use and is
> commercial grade software with excellent printing, USB, and shared
> session capability with quite efficient CPU and network use on both
> ends. It's a big step up from VNC.

Your post is not helpful in reply to what I have said. You basically say 'don't
listen to this guy -- come try this instead!'. I don't appreciate it.
Furthermore NX has gone closed-source and is not easier to configure or
understand. VNC is simple and is what Eric previously told us he was using.
It's right there in the quoted text.

--
Liam