X on a virtual server

I'm thinking that in order to set up a remote X login to a given
machine, that X must be running and configured on that machine. But X
doesn't want to configure itself on a "virtual private server" that
has NO PHYSICAL VIDEO CARD, or so it seems to me at present.

But surely all the computing horsepower I have available to me in my
virtual private server (to which I have of course root access) can be
put in the service of providing X access to that server. Am I crazy,
or how do I set up X for remote login on a machine with no video card,
or even no physical existence?

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely