Re: debian 6.0 boot failure after update to grub2

Excerpts from lee's message of 2011-06-25 22:40:59 +0200:
> Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> writes:
>
> > Excerpts from lee's message of 2011-06-25 20:06:48 +0200:

> >> A few weeks ago I found that I was suddenly unable to boot a
> >> self-compiled kernel after making a change to only one option which
> >> wouldn't affect booting at all. The kernel couldn't find the root fs
> >> and after some waiting put me into an emergency shell. Apparently the
> >> lvm volumes the root fs resides on were unavailable for unknown
> >> reasons.
> >>
> >> Fortunately, kernels from Debian packages still boot. I haven't found
> >> a solution other than to run stock kernels yet. The only thing I
> >> could find out is that it eventually has something to do with the
> >> initramfs not being built correctly by the update-initramfs tool.
> >
> > Thanks lee, I think I saw a bug report regarding your
> > problem. However, in my case no LVM is involved. Could it be that the
> > initramfs is messed up for some reason?
>
> The initramfs image for a particular kernel comes in a Debian package
> with the kernel, doesn't it? If generating the images were to produce
> broken images, wouldn't there be quite a few people having similar
> problems? I really don't know ...
>
> What if you install a more recent kernel from a rescue system?

I managed to install the normal most recent kernel (.32-5) by chroot
and it doesn't boot either. In addition I uninstalled mdadm to make sure
it's not the cause of those issues, yet no luck, it fails at
init-bottom because it doesn't manage to mount root.
Could it be that grub2 can't handle a jfs root? I'm pretty much out of
ideas. I'll try downgrading to grub1 tomorrow..