Re: debian 6.0 boot failure after update to grub2

Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> writes:

> The system waits for the root file system for a while and then drops
> into a shell with the (initramfs) prompt.
>
> There's no /dev/sd* or /dev/disk for some reason.

A few weeks ago I found that I was suddenly unable to boot a
self-compiled kernel after making a change to only one option which
wouldn't affect booting at all. The kernel couldn't find the root fs and
after some waiting put me into an emergency shell. Apparently the lvm
volumes the root fs resides on were unavailable for unknown reasons.

Fortunately, kernels from Debian packages still boot. I haven't found a
solution other than to run stock kernels yet. The only thing I could
find out is that it eventually has something to do with the initramfs
not being built correctly by the update-initramfs tool.