debian 6.0 boot failure after update to grub2

Hi there,
I have a debian server that doesn't boot anymore since I ran
upgrade-from-grub-legacy. It uses xen. I managed to upgrade to Debian
6 and got everything working. Well, a power outage caused my domUs to
not boot anymore and while trying to deal with that I also figured I
didn't complete the upgrade to grub2 and thought it might fix things.
Well, now nothing boots anymore.

The main issue appears to be that it can't find the root device for some
reason. The grub2 menu shows up, I can select boot options, some of
those seem to boot but can't find the root device (the very disk grub2
and everything else is on).

I tried adding "dummy=dummy" as the first parameter in the grub.cfg file
for "multiboot" and all occurrences of"module", but that didn't help.
(from:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems#head-d038e27f4f3ad6b96ef1643c1812237cb1408730)

On a sidenote, vga out on the server doesn't seem to work, so I'm trying
to boot in qemu. As a consequence I get mdadm errors because the raid
disks aren't present, but since those are used for data storage only to
my knowledge this shouldn't matter.

Any advice on how to get the system to boot again is appreciated.

Regards,
Philipp