Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On 06/24/11 at 09:51pm, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 21:35:16 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> > Having switched to grub2 recently, I do that as well.  But I suspect
> > most people will be content with the simpler configuration options
> > offered by editing /etc/default/grub and running update-grub.
>
> That's me! Although I do have a little change made to debian_theme.
>
> Why is it some people dislike GRUB2? My experience isn't great but it
> boots Debian kernels reliably on my machines. Nothing complicated I
> admit, and I'm not overfussed about configuring it to display fancy
> menus. What basic changes to grub.cfg cannot be made from the files in
> /etc?

Editing config files to have other config files edited by scripts is not ideal,
from a system administration POV. Troubleshooting is difficult, and it is the
sort of 'you don't need to know what happens in the box' logic I dislike. The
only other place where this sort of thing happens AFAIK is mail servers, and
those are notorious for being troublesome and difficult to manage!

/etc/default is for daemon parameters, and it is a good idea for that. I don't
wish to use it to manage my systems boot records also.

> As an aside: Is having 'DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE' and making the file
> read-only really an invitation to do the opposite?

No. but the temptation just to understand a configuration file and modify it,
rather than guessing what equivalent the config-file-of-the-config-file will
do, is just too strong. And then we get bitten when the file is 'managed' for
us.

--
Liam