Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:

> Grub2 didn't like my setup during upgrade.
>
> My menu.lst of Grub 0.97 included numerous different rc levels to select
> from. Just a way of selecting between different interfaces while booting.
>
> So the following blocks in the automagic section of menu.lst resulted in a 4
> item menu for each kernel, one item booting into GDM, the next starting
> xinit with Openbox--booting from rc5.d, rc4.d rc3.d and rc2.d respectively.
>
> ## altoption boot targets option
> ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
> ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
> ## altoptions=(single-user) single
> # altoptions=(GDM) 5 vga=791 quiet
> # altoptions=(Openbox) 4 vga=791 quiet
> # altoptions=(Screen) 3 vga=791
> # altoptions=(single-user mode) single
>
> When grub2 setup hit that, it gave me some garbled menu item that failed,
> followed by its basic boot items for console and maintenance.
>
> So now I have an /etc/grub.d/09_custom that renders a menu above Grub2's
> default menu. I manually edit it for kernel upgrades with "find and
> replace" of kernel numbers. I don't like having a fractured, two part menu
> that doesn't completely upgrade automagically. But it works:

This was a good Debianism that I wish the Debian maintainers had tried
to have integrated into grub2 upstream. They'd just need to make, for
example, "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_ALTx" and "GRUB_TITLE_LINUX_ALTx",
available in "/etc/default/grub", with the corresponding changes in
"/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig" and "/etc/grub.d/10_linux" for them to be
used.

>> As an aside: Is having 'DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE' and making the file
>> read-only really an invitation to do the opposite?
>
> Without any other information, I'd have to edit the file to see what
> happens. =:0

Same here! :)