Re: Unread bug reports ?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:30:12 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Saturday 25 June 2011 13:28:25 Vecu BOSSEUR wrote:
>>  Cauz' I'm French, I use the word "merde" to
>> convey the same idea (in French) ; but I'm used to say that this
>> (French) word is no a swear because the Genaral Cambronne coined
>> himself this word at the Battle of Waterloo. It's just a culture clash,
>> indeed.
>
> Now, that is where my Latin master at the lycée I attended many years
> ago would not agree with you.

Lisi, remember that in most languages you can use the same term with
different purposes, that is, while Vecu is right, the example you put
below also is.

> Some boys had told me that if you wanted wish anyone good luck in an
> exam you had to say "merde!"  So when said boys got up to leave the
> class and go to their exam, I said "merde!".
>
> The Latin master turned to face the class and said in a furious voice:
> "Now, who taught her _that_."

I'd say your Latin master should learn more Spanish because wishing
someone "shit" -in that context- is a very common expression in Spanish,
mainly used by teenagers.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón