Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Jun 24, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Camaleón wrote:

> When I installed Squeeze, back five months ago when still tagged as
> "testing", it was indeed available, I mean, the installer asked what to
> put, GRUB legacy or GRUB2. Are you sure that now Squeeze installer has
> removed that option? :-?

Yup; I am now. I thought I might have missed something until I read comments from others on this list.

GRUB's a bootloader, ferkrisake, not Photoshop. I'll certainly admit that lots of cool stuff (RAID, mdadm, etc.) have come along since it was first designed. And that there's likely been some hacking of the original code to deal with that.

But I'd have hoped that rewriting GRUB meant a smaller, simpler (aka more reliable) program with a simpler configuration, not bigger and more complex, and maybe it could try to boot from several devices/partitions, in case RAID broke -- I can live without the pretty background pictures(s)...

--
Glenn English