Re: [OT] Google search default lang.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google has
> figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want the
> results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
> 'Google.com in English'
>
> Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and adjusts
> the default language.
>
> Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

There has been a recent discussion of this over on Hacker News:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2673898

Well, OK, looks like the discussion is mostly about personalization of
search results, but geo-location and guessing languages does fit into
that.

Searching for that page for the word English seems to indicate that it
might be a bug.

Also, it looks like the reason Google (and other websites) do this is
because there seems to be a large number of browsers out there with
Accept-Language set incorrectly, so anything that says English is just
tossed out and whatever left is used (and if there is nothing left,
geo-locate).  I thought at one point en-gb would work, but some recent
testing I tried failed (but it was only about 10seconds worth of
testing).

mrc