Re: Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:12:22 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:27:44 -0700, Bill wrote:
>> > I was wondering if anyone had succeeded in getting the POTS built-in
>> > modem on a T410 to work with squeeze. I only need the modem for a
>> > backup on those rare occasions when POTS is all there is, but I would
>> > like to have it configured.
>>
>> Those damn software modems are a bunch of... I better shut up :-)
>
> You will have to buy a driver from Linuxant if you want that thing to
> work.

Why? Is the free version of their software not working at all? :-?

>> > After a night on Google, I discover that the Linuxant module is
>> > essentially marketing bait for a commercial upgrade. So no way to
>> > that. I'm not a purist exactly, but I only have 5 non-free packages
>> > on the system. One more won't matter but I intend to stick with free
>> > software as far as possible.
>>
>> Linuxant provides a free (but limited) version of the drivers, maybe
>> that's fine for your requirements.
>>
>> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
>
> You're better off paying for those drivers, really.  You either need the
> modem and the paid linuxant driver, or you don't need it that much and
> you'll be much better off disabling the modem in the BIOS.

I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?

>> Or better yet, get a real modem >:-)
>
> That would be either a cdc-acm USB device, which can be rather difficult
> to find... or a USB RS232 dongle plus an async RS232 modem (large and
> somewhat expensive).

Uh? A plain USB or a PCMCIA/Smart PC card (being both hardware based
modems) will do the job quite well. Anything is better than an embedded
modem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón