(Fresh Squeeze install) Wired ethernet works during install but not after

Hi,

I've managed to get passed the issue where I was unable to connect to
the Debian mirrors in order to do a netinstall of Squeeze on my
Toshiba NB505. It took a few tries to get DHCP to auto-configure the
network but it finally worked. After the successful install, I reboot
and was presented with the usual console with only standard system
utilities/laptop utilities installed from tasksel.

For some reason though, I get timeout errors with "apt-get update" as
root, but was just able to install the system over the network with
the same wired connection. I'm puzzled and I don't understand why this
won't work now. I've tried doing it again and again thinking it's the
same issue as DHCP from above but I still can't get connected. I'm
gonna need that wired connection in order to install the wireless
drivers for my chip (RTL8188CE).

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks,
John Mollman