Re: gedit flaw need to be addressed

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:16:01 -0500, John W Foster wrote:

> I've used gedit as my quick editor for some time on my Debian 'stable'
> production server. Primarily for a quick revising of mediawiki articles.
> I use the find and replace feature a LOT! Recently after some upgrades
> that feature does not work properly. i.e. if I click on the drop down
> arrow in the find and replace window...it crashes the application.

Find and replace is a very much used function, it is a bit strange that
nobody noticed this error :-?

Does it happen with all kind of files (plain text, html, etc...)? Does it
happen even if no highlight selected?

> I can type in a word or highlight one, then finish the operation with no
> issue. However I really need the drop down because it allows me to
> select from a menu of previously searched for words. Any ideas are
> appreciated. I havent filed a bug report, but perhaps I should if others
> have noticed a similar issue.

Some tips:

- Try get to get a trace for the error (launch gedit from command line,
reproduce the crash and hope something goes to the console).

- I would also try to reproduce the crash from another user account, that
is, by login with a fresh new user to see if the error can be still
reproduced from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón