Re: Iceweasel 3.5.19 and wmv files

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 15:03 +0000,
>         On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:04:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>         > Open with vlc
>         > [x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
>         >
>         > Is ignored for wmv files that can be played.
>         > Does work for wmv files hat can't be played.
>
>         Mmm, can you re-phrase that? What works and what doesn't? :-)
>
>         Greetings,
>
>         --
>         Camaleón

When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc is able to play,
than the file isn't played automatically. Icedove always ask me what to
do, while

"Open with vlc
[x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on."

already is checked.

When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc isn't able to play
(that's not an issue, because Linux very often is unable to play some
files.wmv, while it can play other file.wmv), than it does remember to
open it automatically, that it should be played with vlc.

I first opened a valid_filename.wmv vlc could play and then a
valid_filename.wmv vlc can't play.

So in addition to the usual issue, that Linux can't play averaged videos.wmv, that can be played by other OS I wont use, but a lot of people unfortunately do use (not important for me), Iceweasel doesn't remember that videos.wmv should automatically played by vlc, without asking me (this is very annoying).
(OT: Sorry, very often Evolution generates never ending lines, when I
reply to mails, e.g. like the line above).

Can the Iceweasel issue be fixed?

Or should I get rid of Iceweasel and install a regular Firefox or is
there any reason to use a broken Firefox called Iceweasel for Debian
installs?

It seems to be that testing is less a valid testing, but extreme buggy
regarding to multimedia and Internet applications :(. Unfortunately I
can't use stable for my needs. I fear that when I'll compile Ardour with
videotimeline, ffmpeg might become an issue, since some codec packages
don't like other codec packages.

Ralf