Re: Iceweasel 3.5.19 and wmv files

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:36:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 15:03 +0000,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>>         On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:04:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>         > Open with vlc
>>         > [x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on.
>>         >
>>         > Is ignored for wmv files that can be played. Does work for
>>         > wmv files hat can't be played.
>>
>>         Mmm, can you re-phrase that? What works and what doesn't? :-)
>>

> When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc is able to play,
> than the file isn't played automatically. Icedove always ask me what to
> do, while
>
> "Open with vlc
> [x] Do this automatically for files like this from now on."
>
> already is checked.
>
> When I click on a video.wmv and it's a file.wmv vlc isn't able to play
> (that's not an issue, because Linux very often is unable to play some
> files.wmv, while it can play other file.wmv), than it does remember to
> open it automatically, that it should be played with vlc.
>
> I first opened a valid_filename.wmv vlc could play and then a
> valid_filename.wmv vlc can't play.

Not sure if this could solve your problem with wmv files, but there is a
plugin for VLC that you may want to try ("mozilla-plugin-vlc"). Or maybe
you already have it installed? :-?

BTW, I've also found that mime types management in Firefox for linux can
be a bit tricky.

> So in addition to the usual issue, that Linux can't play averaged
> videos.wmv, that can be played by other OS I wont use,

I'm sure other OSes (MacOS and Windows at least) pay the required licence
to be able to make use of some multimedia codecs. And non-OEM Windows
installations do come with no multimedia player capable for reproducing
most of the codecs we can find out there ;-)

> but a lot of people unfortunately do use (not important for me),
> Iceweasel doesn't remember that videos.wmv should automatically played
> by vlc, without asking me (this is very annoying). (OT: Sorry, very
> often Evolution generates never ending lines, when I reply to mails,
> e.g. like the line above).
>
> Can the Iceweasel issue be fixed?

I would try the plugin and see how it goes :-?

> Or should I get rid of Iceweasel and install a regular Firefox or is
> there any reason to use a broken Firefox called Iceweasel for Debian
> installs?

I think Firefox will do the same way. But trying it may not hurt:
download and test (better with another user to avoid mising settings), no
installation required.

> It seems to be that testing is less a valid testing, but extreme buggy
> regarding to multimedia and Internet applications :(.

Multimedia has been always a pending task in linux but for a good reason:
companies develop closed codecs that we cannot use freely ;-(

> Unfortunately I can't use stable for my needs. I fear that when I'll
> compile Ardour with videotimeline, ffmpeg might become an issue, since
> some codec packages don't like other codec packages.

I think this problem is not related to a specific Debian flavour.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón