Re: dhclient keeps sending old hostname [solved]

On Mi, 22 iun 11, 01:54:58, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/21/11 at 04:34pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > NetworkManager, not ifupdown, is managing my network connection.
>
> As noted many times elsewhere, it is not recommended to use networkmanager. Why
> it is still included in Debian default install is a mystery.

There was a big thread about this on debian-devel a while ago. Some DDs
(especially the Gnome Maintainers) are very much in favor of it and will
probably continue to push it in the Gnome task (probably other Desktop
Environment tasks as well), while others don't want to have it installed
at all.

IMHO, while I would not install/purge Network Manager on any computer
with a simple connection (DHCP or static IP, probably even PPPoE which
is common with the biggest ISP here), there are people who expect to
manage their connection with a GUI.

Wicd is usable for wired and wireless, but doesn't support VPN, GSM
modems, etc. which doesn't make it a good default for laptops, so we're
back to Network Manager by default in the Desktop tasks.

At least ifupdown has a new maintainer \o/

Regards,
Andrei