Re: WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

Something I have taken to doing lately is to, at least on occasion, use the aptitude TUI. Once you get your head around the interface and its use, it is a very powerful way to upgrade your system, including very fine-grained control of the cleaning up the cruft on your system.

--b

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:

On 20 June 2011 17:57, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
On 2011-06-20 09:38 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 15 iun 11, 17:55:56, David Baron wrote:
>
> [snip sid problems]
>
> I don't have these issues and I think messing with packages under the
> package managers control just asks for trouble. Did you consider
> re-installing?

David's misadventures are tracked in http://bugs.debian.org/630608.
Nobody else seems to be able to reproduce the problem.

I had an issue tonight when upgrading.
Libre office didn't upgrade, it seemed to uninstall and I found it again in 'uninstalled packages'. Reinstalled it and I'm back in action.
I'm studying and submitting work done in Libre Office that is supposed to be done in Word and none of them seem to be able to spot the difference.
If I'm late a day or two in submitting they don't seem to mind.
SID doesn't seem to be any different to what it is normally.
Freezing for a minute or two, but that's just part of it.
Regards,

Weaver.
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.